Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Brief Intermission: The Sky is Everywhere

I finally got my hands on a copy of Jandy Nelson's The Sky is Everywhere. Thank you, New York Public Library.

I had some major reservations about the story at first (I don't do well with love triangles), but the writing is lovely and the characters have grown on me. Still have 40-something pages left to read, but I wanted to go ahead and share this par which has cemented my belief that Jandy Nelson is an absolute artist:

When I get to the driveway, I see a man dressed all in black with a shock of white hair, waving his arms around like a dervish, shouting in French at a stylish woman in a black dress (hers fits her) who looks equally peeved. She is hissing back at him in English. I definitely do not want to walk past those two panthers, so I sneak around the far side of the property and then duck under the enormous willow tree that reigns like a queen over the yard, the thick drapes of leaves falling like a shimmering ball gown around the ancient trunk and branches, creating the perfect skulk den.

I need a moment to bolster my nerve, so I pace around in my new glimmery green apartment trying to figure out what I'm going to actually say to Joe, a point both Sarah and I forgot to consider.

Talk about the art of description. It's my favorite mix of lush words and conversational chatter with a touch of crazybrains. It's weird beauty and normalcy, majestic and completely ordinary all at once. Mostly I love it because the whole thing reminds me of something that Kiri (from Hilary T. Smith's Wild Awake) would say and do. Glimmery green apartment and the perfect skulk den...

2 comments:

  1. I loved The Sky is Everywhere. The writing is so rich. Hope you enjoy the ending!

    ReplyDelete