Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Halloween Costumes

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I went on a bit of a Halloween costume rampage yesterday, but I seem to be on a bit of a roll, so what's a few more?! Here are my picks for fun & unexpected bookish costumes.


Rainbow Fish. Confession: I was Rainbow Fish for Halloween last year! But clearly I need to be hanging around more book people because nobody got it. I found this amazing rainbow sequin vest that sort of looks like fish scales – it was so perfect that I had to buy it. A sparkly blue-green shirt, a purple cardigan, a fluffy purple skirt, and blue tights made up the rest of my ensemble. I wore electric orange lipstick (fish lips!) and tied metallic blue ribbons in my hair and painted my nails glittery gold. I plan to improve on my costume every year moving forward until I am #RainbowFishGoals.


The Little Prince. I admit I am not totally sure how to accomplish this. I suspect a floor-length robe (or cape), a gold scarf, and a flower are good starting points. Maybe some bird- or star- shaped balloons, too. Speak in riddles and when people ask you questions, change the subject to something else entirely.

The Secret Garden. Decorate your clothes with fake flowers & vines & twigs and branches. Throw on an oversized trench coat. When people ask what you're supposed to be, look around surreptitiously, then flash open your coat and say, "I'm the secret garden."


Harriet the Spy. Who else pretended to be Harriet the Spy as a kid?! I think by now I have her outfit down pat: a striped shirt, flare jeans, Converse sneakers. A tool belt that holds a flashlight, pen, mirror, and some rope. A red hoodie – or, if you're going for film accuracy, a yellow raincoat. A composition notebook with the words PRIVATE on top. Maybe bring a tomato sandwich to snack on.

Dorian Gray. Put on a suit or an evening gown – just look as swanky as possible. Take a hideous picture of yourself, print it out, and put it in a frame. Carry it with you all night and get twitchy when people ask you about the portrait you're holding.

Baby-Sitters Club. This would be a group costume, but I've ALWAYS wanted to get my friends to dress up as the whole gang. Okay, so Kristy Thomas would obviously wear a turtleneck, mom jeans, and a baseball cap. Maybe she could carry a clipboard too. Mary Anne Spier would wear a jumper and Mary Janes or saddle shoes with bobby socks, with her hair braided in pigtails. And carry a box of tissues everywhere. Stacey McGill would have her hair permed out huge, and she'd probably be wearing a black off-the-shoulder sweater with, like, green leggings, with her nails painted a sophisticated pink. Claudia Kishi would have 3 different earrings in each ear, an ugly sweater, a windbreaker from the 80s, zebra print mom jeans – I mean, basically just pick one thing from your mom's closet, one thing from your dad's closet, and 5 different pieces of jewelry, and you're good to go. And for Dawn Schafer, you could probably just go with ripped jeans and a tie-dyed t-shirt that says SAVE THE WHALES. Maybe carry around kale juice for bonus points?

6 comments:

  1. I would so dress up as the Babysitters Club with you! That's such a cool idea! And I got the Rainbow Fish even before I read the title. How could you not? :)
    Here's my TTT on the best magical creatures: https://victoriajaynesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/top-ten-tuesday-28-halloween/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha YAY! So glad you're with me on the BSC and Rainbow Fish. Maybe you and I should go trick-or-treating together.

      Delete
  2. I love your Halloween Costume I love costumes where I have to think first before knowing what the person is portraying.
    ADVANCE HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

    Here's mine I hope you check it out :) MY TOP TEN TUESDAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I like when people are clever with how they put together their costumes. Nothing store-bought for me, please!

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness - what fun ideas!! :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete