Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Books I Want To Reread

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

When it comes to rereading books, I'm sort of... persnickety. If I'm obsessed with a book, you bet I'll reread my favorite passages over and over again, if not the entire thing. But if I love a book, then that's a different story.

Love and obsession are two entirely different animals, you see. Obsession comes and goes, and that's normal. Love is something you hope will last for a long, long time. And sometimes I'm afraid to go back and reread a book that I love for fear that it won't be as good as I remembered... because really, your reaction to a book often just comes down to timing. And sometimes you grow out of a book you once loved.

I'm very sentimental and can't stand the thought of that happening, which is why I don't always reread books, even though I would like to. These are my top ten books that I would like to reread someday. Some of them are books that I read too quickly and want to go back and savor; some are books I want to study and analyze a little bit more; and some are just books that I loved and think would still resonate, given where I'm at in life.

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor. I can't remember this one all that clearly anymore, to be honest, but I know it sucker-punched me in the gut, and that's something I would apparently like to relive again.

Froi of the Exiles and Quintana of Charyn. Again, I would like to go through the heart-wrenching rediscovery of Froi and Quintana. I think Froi may be my all-time favorite Melina Marchetta boy. (I think I might love him even more than Jonah Griggs. Don't tell Jonah.)

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I read this pretty quickly and found it kind of melancholic but thoughtful. The narrator has a perspective on life that mirrors my own, so it's somewhat eye-opening for me to read. A form of self-analysis, you could call it.

There is No Dog by Meg Rosoff. Kind of an edgy, dark book, if I remember correctly. It's got pretty low reviews on Goodreads, but for some reason I gave it 4 stars and I want to know why.

Heir of Fire. Truthfully, I love all the books in Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series, but this one feels the saddest and pulls at my heart strings the most. Plus, I love the amount of character development that happens in this book, and it feels like every single person is at a turning point in Heir of Fire and it's filled with tension and just ahhhhh.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. One of my favorite books, yet I've only read it the one time. It's a good book to read in the fall, with a warm blanket wrapped around you and a nice mug of hot chocolate in hand.

Lighthousekeeping. My favorite Jeanette Winterson book. (Okay, okay. The only Jeanette Winterson book I've ever actually finished.) It is filled with the most beautiful passages. For a few years, I wanted one tattooed on me. I better reread this just to make sure that's still a good idea.

When I Was Five I Killed Myself by Howard Buten. Extremely intense book. I read this the summer I graduated high school and thought it was one of the most well-written, poignant books I'd ever read. I actually own a copy (found at Strand Bookstore after years and years of searching fruitlessly), so I could actually get on that.

The Song of Achilles. Such a tragic story, as most Greek myths tend to be, but what can I say? As evidenced by this entire list, I'm clearly a sucker for books that make me cry. The language is heavy and delicate at the same time, and I sort of want to memorize all of Madeline Miller's beautiful sentences.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of When I was Five I Killed Myself but it sounds very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete