Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Love To See As Movies/TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I feel like I say this every time, but this was a challenging Top Ten Tuesday for me – one, because I generally like books better than their movies (exception: the Lord of the Rings trilogy), and two, so many YA novels and book series have been turned into films just in the past 5 years alone. I mean, The Little Prince has been made into a live-action film. (Yes, I watched the trailer, and yes, it made me cry a little.) I wouldn't be surprised if any of these books are in pre-production right now...

1. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss – imagine this directed by Wes Anderson. Just tons and tons of vignettes. Alma and Bird playing their "what I am not" games. Herman and Alma holding hands. And of course it would start with a voiceover by Stephen Fry or Jude Law: "Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering."

 2. The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas would be an amazing TV show. Diverse characters. Strong, imperfect leading ladies. Better than Game of Thrones, with less shock value and no token rape scenes. Chaol and Celaena and Rowan and Manon on a WEEKLY BASIS. YASSSS.

3. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. The female version of Spy Game. (No, not Spy Kids. Spy Game. With Robert Redford and young Brad Pitt.)

4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. This would be dreamy like Sofia Coppola's Virgin Suicides, a little bit dark like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, with a creepy-catchy instrumental soundtrack slightly reminiscent of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

5. Stolen by Lucy Christopher. At the very least, this would have the BEST cinematography starring sunsets in the Australian Outback and some nice, poignant voiceovers.

6. Unsticky by Sarra Manning. I know, it's a weird pick, but I could see this as a cross between 50 Shades of Grey + chick flick featuring Cameron Diaz and Amy Adams as the Supportive Best Friends. And this is one book where I think I might actually prefer the movie.

7. The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles. First of all, this was one of my favorite books as a child. Second of all, it's written by Julie Andrews, yes, that one. This would be an animated film, hopefully done by Dreamworks or Pixar, featuring a cast of awesome voices including Seth Rogen, Aziz Ansari, and Angela Lansbury.

8. Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti. Another one of my longtime favorites. Unfortunately, this would probably end up feeling like a Lifetime movie, what with its token bad boy, grandma girl gang (actually it turns out that these ladies are just middle-aged... my ageist 15-year-old brain deceives me), and a road trip centered on true love, adventure, and liberation.

9. A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Reptile Room. I DESPERATELY WANT THIS BOOK (OR ANY OTHER BOOK IN THE SERIES, REALLY) AS A SEQUEL. The first movie was such a great interpretation of the books – totally whackadoodle and fun, with an all-star cast of characters – I loved Jim Carrey as Count Olaf. Is Netflix still planning to do a TV series? I HOPE SO, I WILL WATCH IT.

10. The Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong. I think this may be one of those books that is vastly underrated but it's charming and inspirational and timeless the way The Little Prince is charming and inspirational and timeless. The Wheel on the School will probably never be made into a film, but if it were, it would have the same vibe as Nanny McPhee: a little bit dreamy and magical and lovely, with amazing landscapes (it is set in the Netherlands, after all) and adorable children playing major characters.

2 comments:

  1. I had Throne of Glass on my list too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/top-ten-tuesday-7/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Throne of Glass on everyone's lists! :) I haven't read it yet but I intend to get to it soon.

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete