Wednesday, November 25, 2015

00100011 01100010 01111001 01100101 / Illuminae Fanmix

Some books are impossible to talk about – maybe the words don't come, maybe your thoughts aren't cohesive. All you really know is what you felt while reading the words on the page... the grief, the fear, the surprise, the worry, the secondhand heartbreak and love...

I can't figure out a way to share that experience in my own words, so I crafted a playlist to do it for me.

It's thirteen songs that embody my own experience reading Illuminae. These songs are a little bit electronic, a little bit futuristic, unearthly. It's the present-day version of what I would expect to hear in 2575. It represents moments, pages, general vibes. And I threw in that Explosions in the Sky song as a memorial to the people who die in this book. Because they deserve it. Especially that one character in particular. Who I'm still crying about.

Anyway. Thanksgiving is tomorrow – whether or not you celebrate, I hope you're all surrounded by the people you love and who love you back. Here's what I'm thankful for this year: my close-knit family, my privilege, and the fact that I'm not being hunted down by intergalactic terrorists.


"Miracles are statistical improbabilities. And fate is an illusion humanity uses to comfort itself in the dark. There are no absolutes in life, save death."

listen on spotify )

01 // Beyond Daft Punk (x)
The perfect song is framed with silence / It speaks of places never seen / Your home's a promise long forgotten / It is the birthplace of your dreams

02 // Milk and Cookies Melanie Martinez (x)
Hush, little baby, drink your spoiled milk / I'm fucking crazy, need my prescription filled / Do you like my cookies? They're made just for you / A little bit of sugar, but lots of poison too

03 // Digital Love Daft Punk (x)
Last night I had a dream about you / In this dream I'm dancing right beside you / I don't know what to do about this dream and you / I wish this dream comes true

04 // Fuck Em Only We Know Banks (x)
Did I say / You're all that matters to me anyway / I'd give up everything to see your face

05 // Prophet Pretty Lights (x)

06 // Gifted N.A.S.A. ft. Kanye West, Santigold & Lykke Li (x)
You don't know my mind / Like I've said a thousand times / I gotta stay ahead / Know what I'm fighting for

07 // Remember Me As A Time Of Day Explosions in the Sky (x)

08 // Be Together Major Lazer ft. Wild Belle (x)
Maybe if the stars align, maybe if our worlds collide / Maybe on the dark side we can be together

09 // Waiting Game Banks (x)
What if I never even see you 'cause we're both on a stage / I don't wanna say your love is a waiting game

10 // Thousand Miles Tove Lo (x)
That's when I run / All of these thousand miles to get you back

11 // Light It Up Major Lazer ft. Nyla (x)
We live where the war is raging / Chasing our crazy dreams / Hoping that the bridge won't cave in

12 // The Game of Love Daft Punk (x)
There is a game of love / This is the game of love / And it was you, the one that would be breaking my heart when you decided to walk away / I just wanted you to stay / Me, I just wanted you to stay

13 // Svefn-g-englar Sigur Rós (x)

4 comments:

  1. I'VE ONLY LISTENED TO HALF OF THESE AND I LOVEEE THEMMM. Totally sending them to a friend who's currently reading Illuminae. Ahh all these songs are so atmospheric of the book - Great job Tiffany!

    - Aila @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYY SO HAPPY YOU LIKE THESE. I wasn't sure if people would get it but I'm glad you do!!! <333

      Delete
  2. AHH. ILLUMINAE. *flails* So, so good, right? And these songs just describe it perfectly. ♥ Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous collection of songs! xx

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH. *flails with you* Thank you for listening! So glad you like! :D

      Delete